Ladies and gentlemen, we finally have some Biomutant gameplay to sink our teeth into. Stefan Ljungqvist, Creative Director from Experiment 101 Games, sat down with IGN’s Daemon Hatfield during the 24th July Summer of Gaming 2020. You can also scoot on over to the Biomutant website for some additional tidbits from the developers.
About BiomutantBiomutant is best described as an open-world, post-apocalyptic Kung-Fu fable RPG. If that doesn’t sound crazy enough, it also boasts a unique martial arts style combat system which allows you to mix shooting, melee, and mutant abilities with exceptional fluidity. Being an action-RPG, your actions play a major part in shaping the story of the game. The main hook for the narrative is that a plague is ruining the fictional land in which the game is based, and the Tree-of-Life is bleeding death from its roots. The world consists of tribes if you will, and these tribes must unite and find someone strong enough to unite them – or be their cause of downfall. The story will be told through the voice of a storyteller that will narrate every significant story moment, but true to RPG fashion, you are in control of the story and how it eventually ends.
The GameplayOne thing that entices me the most about the game, is the fact that it’s being developed by a smaller team than your typical developers of games of this scale. Having studied game development and actively working on smaller title(s) myself, I can attest to the fact that while it’s exponentially trickier, smaller teams can have a creative flow to them that is unmatched. Of course, as with anything there are exceptions, but just looking at the Biomutant gameplay, I can tell the team is cooking up something special. Here are some gameplay key points:
- The game world is 8km x 8km according to Stefan Ljungqvist the Creative Director. In simpler terms, the open world is massive.
- The game world is complex with a variety of interlinked features.
- There are 6 tribes in the game that represent 6 different DNA strands – all tied to character creation
- Players are free to mutate and modify each DNA strand to make that perfect character.
- It’s a full blown action-RPG, which means stats have a huge impact on gameplay depending on your biomutant build.
- There will be classes akin to more traditional RPG’s, such as more caster-esque classes, or commando classes depending on your choice of playstyle.