A few years ago we saw the debut via a demo of a game called Grounded. Now that is in full release with a campaign on Xbox and PC. So think Honey I Shrunk The Kids and you’ll get a good idea of the world we have. We have to search for resources, craft build, and fight for survival against giant insects. Well to the world they are normal. However due to your small size, less so. A similar game launched in early access earlier this year. So let’s introduce Smalland: Survive the Wilds which is available on Steam.
Though this game may not be a game familiar to some so let’s explain what we get thanks to the Steam listing. The description states the following.
Before the time of the giants, we lived freely under the Sun and Moon. Centuries have passed, but those stories of the surface world have been passed down through the generations. Now the giants are gone, and you, Vanguard, must venture out into the wilds once more, on an urgent mission. Be brave, and do not falter…
That may not help explain Smalland: Survive the Wilds so let’s look at the features in the description.
All About Smalland
- Explore the vast “Land of the Small” – Traverse lake-sized puddles, scale skyscraper-sized trees, scramble through cavernous cracks in roads, as you experience a huge open world from a new perspective. Explore dense forests, hazardous swamps, and strange ruins left over from the time before. Uncover lore and knowledge from hidden NPCs scattered throughout the world and learn to survive in this vast wilderness.
- Survive together – Play alongside friends with support for up to 10 players in multiplayer. Explore together, fight together, build together and survive the wilds as a team.
- Build encampments on the ground or amongst the trees – Scavenge or refine resources to build your encampment with multiple material tiers, from leaves and twigs to sturdy stone. Pick your favorite spot in the world and build, or scale vast trees and claim your own settlement at the top.
- Craft powerful armor sets – Collect powerful armors that provide you with resistances and abilities and mix them up to personalize your appearance. Glide through the skies in winged armor, swing from tree to tree with the grappling hook, and many more.
- Survive the Wilds – Most of the creatures you encounter will see you as lower on the food chain – Ants, Cockroaches, Beetles, Wasps, and Spiders all view you as a potential meal. Weather conditions and seasons are in constant flux so if you want to survive for another day, preparation is key.
So this may explain the game. However, we also see the Grounded similarities. What is making this title a sudden point of interest? Well, maybe the new trailer below will help explain a few things.
Where Next For Smalland: Survive The Wilds
The PC release is getting version 1.0. Though this means on December 7th, the game will leave Early Access. So PC owners can experience the full game. The other big news is the game will debut on console on the same day. The console platforms according to the trailer and description are current gen hardware only. We get told to mark our “calendars for December 7th when the eagerly awaited 1.0 version lands on PC, PlayStation 5, & Xbox Series X|S!” The physical console copies follow a day later.