When Creative Director Marcus Smith spoke highly of PlayStation 5 hardware they meant it. They clearly utilized this well with on-screen visuals and DualSense support among others. Well, Ratchet and Clank in the latest patch the hardware is related to one of the additions noticed on the patch notes listed on the support page.
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart latest patch is 1.002. If you own a TV that can run at 120Hz, you can increase the framerate.
What is the new framerate and why has this been chosen now?
Fidelity Mode is now targeting 40 fps. If you have the game this patch is now available for you to download.
A higher frame rate allows the game to run smoother but keeps the existing visuals that the mode current provided. But people will ask why 40 frames when we normally see 30 and 60 as framerate numbers.
It divides equally into those 120Hz the TVs capable of utilizing this have. This is turn as we know will give gamers a smoother experience due to the frame pacing remaining even.
The patch also addresses many other bugs and glitches and new stickers and tweaks added to the game’s photo mode.
What are the patch notes?
Some of these include the following. The full list can be found on the support page.
- New stickers added
- Added the ability to disable the Phantom Dash VFX and the same in Photo Mode
- Added the ability to toggle armor on or off while in Photo Mode
- Color backgrounds added to Photo Mode
- 120 Hz Display Mode added, which reduces input latency when using a compatible display. In this mode, the frame rate target for the Fidelity graphics mode increases to 40 frames per second
- Added “Skip Cutscenes” as a bindable option for the D-pad
- Added the option to disable the level up message and slowdown
General Fixes & Polish
This is as expected where the changes listed are lengthy so here are a a few of the many addressed by Insomniac.
- An issue where a Glitch challenge could be played twice resulting in players being unable to complete one later
- Addressed an issue where POIs could disappear.
- Addressed an issue where the game could freeze during the grind rail tutorial.
- An issue where killing Grunthors with Trudi would not count towards the Extinction Event Trophy
- Addressed an issue where the camera could become stuck on Blizar
- Addressed an issue where Clank lines would play incorrectly while at Zurkies
- Issue where Goons could T-pose while dying fixed
- Addressed an issue where a section of rail would not spawn after respawning on Blizar
- Addressed an issue where the game would appear very dark if Photo Mode was activated very quickly
- Issue addressed where some jumps would not be possible if the Glide Toggle was enabled
- Addressed an issue where the player could fall endlessly during the Nefarious fight
- Fixed issue where changing the Graphics Mode setting while starting a Challenge Mode game would start a normal game instead
- An issue where glove weapons would appear incorrectly in Photo Mode
- Addressed an issue where certain Photo Mode filters could remove anti-aliasing in the main game
- Improved stability
- Various additional fixes and improvements