Back in 1965, Frank Herbert introduced the world of Arrakis. It is the first story in the iconic Sci-Fi franchise and back in 2003, was described as the best-selling science fiction novel. Dune was turned into a film by David Lynch in 1984 and just recently part one of the new film adaptation was launched. Game wise we have Dune Spice Wars and now another title enters the fray.
Early on during the opening night showcase for Gamescom 2022, we saw a CGI trailer that was unmistakably the world of Arrakis. The game in the Dune universe is called Dune Awakening and when we gave you the news about Spice Wars we mentioned another project was in the works. So it seems this is that game. The trailer quotes one of the most iconic lines from the film.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Dune Awakening And What We Know
Naturally, it is inspired by the world Frank Herbert introduced us to. If you have seen the recent film adaptation by Denis Villeneuve you’ll have an idea visually of what to expect. At this point, it is coming to PC, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X/S as well. We also know it’s an open-world survival MMO. If you wish to register for the beta then check here. As for the description of the game, this is a quote from the official website.
Dune: Awakening combines the grittiness and creativity of survival games with the social interactivity of large-scale, persistent multiplayer games to create a unique and ambitious Open World Survival MMO. Rise from survival to dominance in a vast and seamless Arrakis shared by thousands of players.
- Survive the most dangerous planet in the universe. Build shelters against sandstorms, maintain your stillsuit, and master the old ways to walk even the deepest deserts. Avoid or be devoured by the colossal sandworms that dwell beneath the sands.
- Explore the ever-changing face of Arrakis. Walk the ruins of long-forgotten biological testing stations, scavenge the wreckage of fallen spaceships, and wander the dusty halls of abandoned sietches. Head into unmapped sectors and be the first to discover secrets and riches before the coriolis storms once again shift the sands and alter the landscape.
- Control the spice, control Arrakis. Hunt for spice blooms and deploy your harvester, then protect it from opportunistic raiders and rival factions. Soak the sand in blood as massive battles shift seamlessly from foot to vehicles and from ground to ornithopters in the sky.
- Make plans within plans. Make a name for yourself among the inhabitants of Arrakis. Wield intrigue and force to influence the Landsraad and impact the world. Build your own faction through spice harvesting, trade, subterfuge, and open conflict.
- Awaken the sleeper. Tailor every aspect of your character. Consume spice to conquer your senses and acquire powerful abilities. Hone your craft to become sought out for the finest creations. Construct your fortress in the style of your choosing. The journey is yours to shape.
However, as always we would love to hear from you about this news. So get in touch and share your thoughts on this upcoming Dune Game.